Thursday, October 3, 2013

shutdown blues

The US government shutdown has impacted the environmental biz in a bunch of ways, some obvious and some not. Those of us who work closely with the EPA may have been issued a stop work order directly. But other federal agencies and facilities, such as the Department of Defense (DoD) and Department of Energy (DOE), have major environmental obligations that may be put on hold.

In the last few days, I've run into a few more snags during the course of my work. Want to download GIS layers or other basic hydrogeological info from USGS? Sorry, can't do. Looking for some details on environmental technologies or trying to find some training now that your schedule has opened up? Clu-in.org is closed.

We have a "start-up" pool in my office. I have a mid-October date. But I'd much rather be wrong and be back to full capacity.

No comments: