Tuesday, December 6, 2016

cold weather skin

I am prone to dry skin. My face is extremely sensitive, which means I come in looking sandblasted when it's cold or windy. So I moisturize and use barrier creams and super hydrating lip balm and douse myself with sunscreen in the hopes that I don't slough off most of my face after a long day in the field.

Now that I'm older, I have a new problem. My eyelids.

My eyelids have gotten that crepe-y texture reminiscent of someone with eyes... much older than mine. And they recently started cracking in the cold.

What do I do about my eyelids once they've cracked? I must have tried every super moisturizer on the market, and they uniformly say "not for broken skin" in addition to "not for the eye area". I've been slathering them with non-medicated (non-mentholated) lip balm before going out, under the theory that if they're ok for lips, they're ok for eyes.

Do you run into this problem, and if so, what works for you?

2 comments:

Marciepooh said...

I know you said you've tried everything, but what I use when my lips start cracking and weeping is theraplex (http://shop.theraplex.com/products/theraplex-emollient, available elsewhere that was the easiest link to find). I've gotten better at preventing that level of dryness around my lips but in the winter I'll still use it. I'll also use it on the insanely dry spot on the inside of my cafe. My dad's dermatologist recommended it for his cuticles (which crack really badly in the winter); several of the nurses in that practice use it to combat drying effect of all the hand washing.

It doesn't say not to use it on your eyes. One warning, it feels sticky going on, so I put regular lip balm over it on my lips; not an issue on my leg. Also, that jar will last years.

Also, this post makes me kind of glad I don't do much field work and can usually kind of pick the weather when I do. :)

Short Geologist said...

I'll have to look that up. The stickiness may be a problem, though. I've found that I need to use the bare minimum because when I blink, it pushes around the moisturizer and is more likely to get into the eye itself.