Friday, January 14, 2011

filing follies

I have certain documents that need to be filed. There's no big rush to file them, but eventually, before the project ends, they need to be organized. So what's the problem?

I don't have access to the filing system. In order to be filed, to be legally and contractually secure, an administrative person has to give the thing an official number and put it in the administrative record - something that I could do in approximately 12 seconds if I did have access.

My documents have been sitting in the admin person's mailbox for the last three months, which I pass daily when I check my own mail.

I've seen the mess and chaos that ensues if you have a big project and a nonexistent filing system - especially in environmental consulting, where you have a constant flow of people in and out of the office. I promised myself that I would be better about organizing stuff. But now I understand why it's not as easy as it looks.

1 comment:

Erik said...

I find that a well-placed QA audit provides a good kick in the ass for stuff like this.