Monday, January 10, 2011

post-fieldwork bloat

I mentioned in my last post that I only did about 12 weeks of fieldwork this past year. That poses a certain problem.

One side of my family is genetically predisposed to be skinny no matter how poor the diet and how minimal the exercise. The other side is...round. Because I spent my childhood and young adulthood as a human garbage disposal with no ill-effects, I figured I'd lucked out and gotten the skinny genes.

I spent the year before grad school in a tizzy of non-stop fieldwork. I was in charge of a pretty big operation, and I spent my 12-hour days constantly on the run. When I went to grad school, I walked about a mile each way to school daily...and my printer was in a different building than my office. So even when I was relatively sedentary, doing homework or writing my thesis, I was still running all over the place to get stuff from the printer, realize the printer was out of paper, run back to the printer, find out that someone else had walked off with my stuff...

At some point between the start of grad school and now, my metabolism slowed down. Now I'm even heavier than when I last blogged about my weight gain, and now I definitely have a little pot belly. Hell, my grandmother's first words to me at Christmas were, "well, haven't we gotten bigger!". Great.

My resolution to exercise outside of work didn't go so well last year. This year I'm going to try and exercise in the morning before work, before I'm emotionally/physically wrung out from a full work day.

2 comments:

EcoGeoFemme said...

I definitely gained a little weight when I finished lab work for my thesis. I didn't realize just how much I was moving around even though I was basically just standing at the bench. But, being in the lab a lot also makes it harder to have snacks, so I was probably eating a little bit less too.

Good luck with your exercise plan!

Rachel said...

just wanted to say, I just found your blog today and love it! and that I totally support your idea of morning exercise... I switched to being a "morning runner" last summer and it's sooo much easier because I can just get out of bed and exercise before I have time to think about how much I don't want to, rather than being super exhausted after a long day.