Wednesday, January 6, 2010

back for the new year

Happy new year! I've been out because of holiday duties, traveling in areas with minimal internet, and illness.

Last year, I mentioned some resolutions. So how'd I do?

1. I did not get back to working out 2x/week. I did, however, lose 15 pounds in three weeks because of a particularly stressful field event. I don't recommend this.

2. I kept blogging. Sort of. Um, I'm still here, right? We'll ignore my 3 week silence.

3. I did not go somewhere exotic. I did have a lovely week on a familiar beach this year.

4. I did keep up with my correspondence, at least a little better - I still don't communicate enough (the odd blast of TMI on facebook does not count), but I got back in touch with a very old friend who I hadn't spoken to in years, and I re-connected with a group of loved ones I'd been neglecting far too long.

5. I stopped wasting quite as much time on stupid internet stuff, mainly because I'd gotten sort of bored with my old favorites.

So, I didn't keep 1 or 3, but I'll give myself partial credit for the other 3. So...25%?

Tomorrow I'll get to this year's resolutions.

1 comment:

Mike said...

I actually have a great New-Years resolution from a few years back.

Don't make New-Years resolutions.

The holidays are already a stressful time of the year. It's difficult to have your lifestyle in context. First you are stressed out over Christmas, maybe even family travel. Then you are in the middle of a week or so off work, you've been away from school for three weeks. Any feelings of improvement you might have are not in context with the real world of Work and/or School.

When you are in the middle of a project at work, and shit is going way wrong, and you are up to your ears with homework/projects, folks are nagging you to come for a birthday... Now is the time to decide if there is a free hour in the day for cardio.

It's a sort of Zen approach, do more by doing less, or not doing at all...

Don't start something you won't be able to continue when real life kicks in. Besides in January, the gyms are full of "not yet failed New-Years resolutions".