Tuesday, January 8, 2013

e-mail policy

I've alluded to this before, but I'm not the most regular e-mail checker. I'll forget about my accidental remediation account for months on end and then find some sort of time-sensitive communication or invite that I've missed out on. I will try to be better at checking, though, because in the last year or so I've received a bunch of interesting e-mails.

I have a similar e-mail response policy to my comment moderation policy. I respond relatively quickly to personal e-mails. That is, I do respond almost immediately upon receipt, but only when I remember to log in and check it.

I also get a fair number of e-mails from folks pushing something or other who want to write a guest post or have me link to/validate whatever they're selling - often something not at all related to geology or the environment. I'm not terribly interested in becoming free advertising for a commercial website, so I tend to blow them off.

So if you're desperate to reach me because you want to send me on an all expenses paid trip to a blogging/science conference in St. Tropez, send me a comment saying "check your e-mail!" If you're trying to get attention for your commercial entity, I may not go along with it, but if you send something that's not clearly a form letter and has some thought behind it, I will respond. Eventually.

No comments: