Monday, April 6, 2009

poor audience behavior

As I've mentioned before, I've been to a number of conferences over my grad school career. I have several pet peeves for speakers, but for now I'd like to focus on audience pet peeves. Which bugs you most? Here's a partial list, in rough chronological order:

1. Taking the last chair in a row too narrow for anybody else to sneak past. For every single row! Move in, people!

2. Folks who let the door slam behind them when they "sneak" out in the middle of a talk

3. "Whispering" the entire time a talk is in progress.

4. Tapping madly on your blackberry when you haven't turned the "button pressing" sound off.

5. Talking over other people (people who had their hand up, incidentally) during the question and answer period.

My personal pet peeve is the blackberry one. Seriously, how do you not notice how loud your blackberry is beeping during the entire talk? Hmph.

No comments: