Wednesday, September 30, 2015

do as I say...

Regular readers will probably remember that I have a bit of an obsession with clear, concise writing.

And it's nice to commiserate with other reviewing types who also believe in clear, concise writing. Hey, if you come across something like "The subsurface soil sample was collected by the sampler within a discrete zone at the 2 to 4 foot depth interval in the soil column", feel free to call me and we can have a good giggle at the author's expense.

However, if you have spent a significant amount of time raging about the redundancies and general sloppiness of the poor schmo who started a report, and I find that all of your inserted text is either missing punctuation or has obvious factual errors, I start to get annoyed.

Sure, it's good to be concise.You know what matters more? Being correct. And I really don't want to hear about how terrible someone else's writing is when when you can't actually produce readable copy yourself.

No comments: