Wednesday, October 21, 2015

wild conferences?

I was comparing conference notes with a marketing person within the environmental industry, and boy, did he have different conference experiences from me. Mr. Marketing was all about the sort of conferences where contractors are playing matchmaker with each other and angling for clients, and they (used to?) turn into booze-soaked parties.

I... haven't experienced that. I go to scientific, boring conferences where grad students and industry tech people compare notes about new research and techniques, and then we load up on passed appetizers and drink beer. Maybe those scientific conferences do turn into wild bacchanals after hours/elsewhere, and I just wasn't invited?

So I don't have any wild and crazy geology/environmental conference stories. Are they out there, or did they go out of style with the big christmas party blowouts in the 80s?

No comments: