Friday, May 15, 2009

hotel amenities 2

My previous post addressed hotel amenities that should be standard for mid-range hotels catering to professionals. In order to help cut costs, here are some things that are not needed:

1. hair dryer (if you use one, don’t you usually bring your own?)
2. 2 or more lights within 5 feet of each other
3. automatic replacement of all bedsheets/towels daily (use those little “please change” tents instead)
4. shower caps and other totally random toiletries
5. Coffee maker

Number 5 may be heresy to some, but all the coffee drinkers I know would much rather make a quick stop on the way to the jobsite and buy their poison rather than brewing the sanka or whatever it is they have in the hotel room.

4 comments:

tun hotels said...

nice post.. thank you.. :D

Lockwood said...

With number five, I'd say "don't bother unless you want to do it right." Sanka and other instants are foul, and so are most of the big-name ground coffees. But there are some decent ground coffees out there, and I appreciate finding one of them in the room. To your previous post, I'd add "A decent reading lamp." I don't need or want a room lit up like a sunny day, but I do want a light bright enough to read and work by without straining my eyes. Preferably two: one by a table or desk, and one by the bed. I don't know your age, but this will become much more important in your late 30's and 40's. My Mom (in her 70's) carries a high-wattage bulb with her when she travels, and switches it in and out as she arrives and departs.

EcoGeoFemme said...

I love when hotels have a hair dryer. It's a heavy, bulky item that I'd rather not pack, but I really, really like to blow dry my hair.

Maria said...

In-room coffee is essential when you've got a morning conference call with the office. Otherwise, you end up wearing pants much sooner in the day than you want.