Monday, April 16, 2012

1000 looks

I was out getting something from my car the other day and had the following conversation with a guy out on a smoke break:

Smoker: "You must have a thousand looks!"
Short Geologist: "Pardon me?"
Smoker: "Every time I see you, you're wearing something different. Yesterday you were wearing a traffic vest!"
Short Geologist: "Yeah, I do a lot of different things."

I hadn't really thought of it that way, but I do vary widely in what I'm wearing on a daily basis. I regularly wear everything from "construction gear" (carhartts, traffic vest, bandana, steel toe boots) to a suit (meeting with bigwigs), to jeans and a t-shirt (casual Friday) to "preppy teacher" outfits (khakis and institutional-logo polo shirts for the instructing gig). And the construction-type gear will vary widely based on weather - brightly-colored gore-tex for the possibility of rain, bulky coveralls and hideous hats if it's freezing, hiking pants if it's warm.

I've complained about the sheer number of outfits required for this line of work before. But one thing that I need to keep in mind is that the different variety of outfits reflects a varied and interesting work environment - not a bad thing.

1 comment:

Geophysical Surveys said...

One thousand looks are a sign of one interesting profession, it's either you are a geologist or a secret service agent, master of disguises!